At Shelley PS we support and promote excellence and equity.
We are committed to:
developing self esteem
creating a happy and productive learning environment
promoting team spirit
learning life skills
providing opportunities for students to become responsible and independent decision makers and problem solvers.
Distinctive aspects of the school include:
a variety of quality programs across all key learning areas
dedicated, skilled and approachable staff members
a high standard of discipline
an emphasis on literacy and numeracy
a Learning Centre for students who need assistance in the area of literacy
comprehensive assessment and reporting practice
opportunities for student involvement in decision making
quality technology programs
a respected tradition in competitive sport and cultural activities
strong community participation
an attractive, functional and stimulating learning environment including a communal hall.
The origin of our name
In 1814 William Shelley, of the London Missionary Society, suggested to Governor Macquarie that a school to train Aborigines should be established in Parramatta.
It was proposed to teach the boys reading, writing, knowledge of scriptures, manual labour, agriculture and mechanical arts. The girls were to be taught sewing, knitting, spinning or such employments as were ‘suitable’ for them. At the end of 1814 the school was opened in a building that stood on the land bound by Macquarie, Marsden and Hunter Streets in Parramatta.
William Shelley died in 1815 but his wife and daughter carried on the school until 1823, when after Mrs Shelley’s retirement, it was moved to Blacktown. Shelley Public School, formerly known as Blacktown Road School, was opened in 1967.